B A C K
PLASTIQUE SP COMPARTMENTS
PART 1 - GENERAL
1.1 SECTION INCLUDES
A. Floor anchored, overhead braced pilasters (Metropolitan style).
B. Floor anchored pilasters (New Yorker style).
C. Ceiling hung pilasters (Empire style).
D. Floor to ceiling pilasters (Gramercy style).
E. Urinal screens.
1.2 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Source: Provide partitions and screens which are the products of one manufacturer.
B. Coordination: Coordinate related work such as concealed blocking to ensure proper location and quantity.
A. Product Data: Submit manufacturer’s product data, installation details, and catalog cuts for partitions, hardware and accessories.
B. Shop Drawings: Provide shop drawings for field measurements, fabrication, installation and erection of all parts of the work.
C. Manufacturer’s Installation Instructions: Provide details of
hardware locations and drilling dimensions.
1.4 FIELD MEASUREMENTS
A. Verify that field measurements are as indicated on shop drawings. Advise manufacturer of any changes.
1.5 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
A. Deliver materials and products in unopened factory labeled packages. Store and handle in strict compliance with manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations. Protect from all possible damage. Inspect cartons at the time of delivery and advise carrier of any damage immediately.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.01 ACCEPTABLE MANUFACTURERS
A. Knickerbocker Partition Corporation
2.02 MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS
A. All material shall be constructed of high density solid polyethylene plastic
(HDPE) which is non-absorbent, waterproof, with a self lubricating surface
which resists graffiti.
1. Panels, Urinal Screens and Doors: Shall be 1” thick, in colors that extend from the surface through the entire core. Doors and panels shall be a minimum of 55” high and extend 14” off the floor. All edges are to be machined and all sharp corners to be removed. Bottom edges shall have an aluminum heat-sinc strip.
2. Metropolitan Pilasters: Shall be 1” thick, constructed the same as the panels, doors, and urinal screens. Bottom of pilasters shall have adjustable floor anchor, with leveling device, anchor studs and locking nuts to firmly secure pilasters to the floor. This entire assembly to be concealed with a 4” high stainless steel plinth, secured in place with one-way thru bolts.
3. Headrail: Pilasters, when set in place, shall be securely braced with 1” x 1-1/2” anodized anti-grip headrail bracing. Headrail to seat on top of pilaster and securely fastened with theft-resistant screws.
4. New Yorker Pilasters: Shall be 1” thick, constructed the same as the panels, doors, and urinal screens. Pilasters, when set in place, shall be securely anchored to concrete sub-floor by means of 3/8” diameter cadmium plated bolts with a minimum penetration of two inches, secured rigidly into concrete slab with expansion shields and secured to the pilasters through a heavy cast leg integrally fastened to the pilaster core. This entire assembly to be concealed with a 4” high stainless steel plinth, secured in place with one-way head thru bolts.
5. Empire Pilasters: Shall be 1” thick, constructed the same as the panels, doors, and urinal screens. Pilasters, when set in place, shall be securely anchored to overhead carrying member (overhead members to be furnished, installed and drilled by others) by means of 3/8” diameter cadmium plated bolts secured to the pilasters through a heavy cast leg integrally fastened to the pilaster core. The entire assembly to be concealed with a 4” high stainless steel plinth, secured in place with one-way thru bolts. Bottom edges shall have an aluminum heat-sinc strip.
6. Gramercy Pilasters: Shall be 1” thick, constructed the same as the panels, doors and urinal screens. Both the top and the bottom of the pilasters shall have adjustable anchors and leveling devices. Anchor studs and locking nuts are designed to firmly secure the pilaster to the floor and ceiling. Both assemblies to be concealed with 4” high stainless steel plinths, secured in place with one-way thru bolts.
7. Hardware and Fittings: Panels and pilasters shall be attached to one another and/or to walls with Zamac chrome plated brackets. Doors shall be equipped with Knickerbocker Ever Life Spring Activated Non-Rising Hinges. Top hinge pivot door bracket to be recessed and inset into edge of door, approximately 2” below the top with a steel pivot pin, operating on a self-lubricating bushing, mounted within the door structure, supported both above and below the pivot bracket. Operation of door shall be controlled by opposing cams under spring tension, mounted on a fixed vertical pintle. Hinges to be adjustable to permit door to rest at any angle, or to hold door open or closed when not latched. Hinges shall operate without raising or lowering the door on a fixed horizontal plane. Each door shall be equipped with stop and keeper, combination coat hook and bumper and concealed latch, featuring a latch cover which permits access to the compartment in case of emergency. Handicap door to be equipped with Knickerbocker Partition Corporation Lever Handle. Design to comply with ADA requirements. Hinge bracket and stops shall have clamp flanges to transmit the strain of door closing to the pilaster. All hardware shall be heavy one-piece, non-ferrous “Zamac” casting, heavily chrome plated. Hinges, stop and keeper, pilaster and panel brackets shall be thru bolted with sex bolts having theft-resistant heads.
B. FINISH: As selected by architect from manufacturer’s standard complete color selector.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. Install partitions secure, rigid, plumb and level in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
B. Maintain manufacturer’s recommended spacing between wall and panels, and between wall and pilasters.
C. Attach panels and pilasters to brackets with theft-resistant one-way thru bolted screws.
D. Equip each door with hinges, concealed lock, coat hook and bumper, door strike and keepers. Outswing doors shall have a
door pull and wall bumper.
A. Adjust operating parts to work easily, smoothly and correctly.
B. Adjust and align hardware to uniform clearance at vertical edge of doors, not exceeding 3/16 inch.
C. Adjust hinges to position inswing doors at a 30 degree angle to pilasters and outswing doors to a fully closed position.